Sunday, August 16, 2009

3-D Art and the problem of Five








Sphere, Cube, Pyramid (square based), Cylinder, Cone....




I felt confident this was an easy assignment and that I could breeze through it. With out a doubt in my mind, I went to the store and bought the premade forms for the "problem of five". I bought spray paint and felt and some foam core board to display it on.


At home, I created a homemade spray booth in my basement....OK, this is when the "problem" gets a little bit more complex than I had anticipated! ( you'd think I'd learn that nothing is as easy as it first appears to be...hhhmmmm) Did I mention that this was in "early spring" IE..winter?! In the basement?! Painting?! Not a real good idea, but necessary I thought...till I was done and found out that there is a vented spray booth at school.

My next learning experience was with my pre-made styrofoam forms...They don't like paint. Those cute styrofoam balls...they melt! Those wonderful green floral forms...they become powdery and the paints comes off easily. And heed my words, never put a whole in a form if you don't mean it!!!! There is no simple repair to fix it. After filling the whole and sanding it and repainting it, I noticed that there was a flat spot in my cone. The textures were not the same and of course I had already put it together and it was in a place I couldn't hide. Not even with a strategically placed jewel. Somehow I think making my own forms would have been easier...well maybe not! Maybe I should just remove the word easy from my art vocabulary!?!

Speaking of the jewels I felt they worked out pretty well even though they didn't want to stick to the rounder surface of the cone. I managed to fix that and was now pleased with the resulting 3-D art. At the end of the project I figured I had learned some things and had overcome some adversities, and had solved the problem presented to me. Kudos to me! LOL

















1 comment:

  1. Hey Friend, I love this sculpture! I'll tell you though....I'm really partial to shiny objects!! (smile) A little sparkle, and I'm all there!! Very nice..are you still in this class? I miss you!!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete